History of Ethylene Oxide (EO) Sterilization
STERIS Isomedix has been providing contract ethylene oxide (EO) sterilization services since 1989. However, the history of Ethylene Oxide (EO) dates back to the mid 1800s, when ethylene oxide was first discovered.
Ethylene Oxide (EO) Sterilization: Timeline of Events
- 1859 – Ethylene oxide (EO) is discovered
- 1920s/1930s – Ethylene oxide (EO) is used for fumigation
- 1940s – Ethylene oxide (EO) is developed as a sterilant by the U.S. military
- Late 1950s – The McDonald process is patented for medical devices
- 1998 – EOExpress® technology introduced
Today, ethylene oxide is used to sterilize of a variety of medical products. Ethylene oxide is ideal for cellulose and plastic products that may exhibit discoloration wtih irradiation and devices manufactured from materials whose physical properties degrade with heat or irradiation.